At a glance
- Very good value
- Surprisingly comfortable keyboard
- Large 16-inch 1080p screen with a high 144Hz refresh rate
- Budget RTX GPU
- Audio doesn’t feel quite right
- Display hinge is a bit flimsy
A low sticker price helps usher this budget 16-inch gaming laptop into a select circle of gaming notebooks worth buying.
The HP Victus 16 joins a small but growing crop of gaming notebooks whose solid, comfortable keyboards are surrounded by a clean, minimalist design aesthetic. These elements make them suitable for work as well as play. Combine that with the relatively inexpensive $1,200 price tag and you get a recipe for an intriguing midrange gaming notebook that won’t hit your wallet too hard.
Yes, HP tossed the RGB bling out the window. That said, we weren’t overly impressed by the audio and the included GeForce RTX 3050Ti GPU certainly falls on the low end of the GeForce RTX 30-series spectrum. Still, the Victus 16 delivers substantial value for a mainstream gaming PC.
HP Victus 16 basic features
HP’s Victus essentially replaces HP’s Pavilion Gaming brand. The “V” logo is “extracted” from the “diamond” used by its more hardcore Omen gaming brand. Essentially, it’s a gaming PC designed for a variety of tasks, which is reflected by both the badging and design.
The Victus 16 ships in three configurations from HP.com: the $1,129.99 16-e0097nr (with a Ryzen 7 and an Nvidia RTX 3050 Ti GPU), the $809.99 16z-e000 (with a Ryzen 5 and an Nvidia GTX 1650), and the $729.99 16t-d000 (which includes a Core i5 and GTX 1650). Our review unit is the 16-d0097nr, the highest-tier version.
We also found the 16-d0020tg (with a Core i5-11400H and Nvidia RTX 3050Ti) for $1,049.99 at Target as well as the 16-e0010nr (with a Ryzen 5600H CPU and a RTX 3050 GPU) for $919.99 at Newegg.
- Processor: Intel Core i5-11400H, Core i7-11800H (i7-11800H as tested)
- Display: 16.1-inch (1,920×1,080, 144Hz), 300 nits rated (as tested); 16.1-inch (2,560×1440, 165Hz), 300 nits
- Memory: 8/12/16/32GB DDR4-2933; 16GB (2x8GB) as tested
- Storage: 256GB/512GB/1TB PCIe SSD, with 32GB Optane options; 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD + 32GB Optane as tested
- Graphics: GeForce RTX 3050Ti (4GB)/ RTX 3060 w/6GB GDDR6 (as tested)
- Ports: 1 USB-C (5Gbps, DisplayPort 1.4, charging); 3 USB-A (5Gbps, 1 w/charging enabled); HDMI 2.1, Gigabit Ethernet, SD card slot, 3.5mm jack
- Camera: User-facing: 720p video
- Battery: Design: 70.2Wh; Full: 65.2 Wh
- Wireless: Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax 2×2), Bluetooth 5.0
- Operating system: Windows 11 Home
- Dimensions: 14.57 …….